Salary Range $105,000-$125,000
Additional Total Benefits Package of up to $35,000
Must be US Citizen with ability to obtain public trust clearance
We are looking to hire a senior level Virtualization Engineer to maintain an Innovation Lab supporting SSA in Woodlawn. Must be USC/GC with ability to obtain public trust clearance.
The Virtualization Engineer will design, implement, and maintain a hybrid virtualization environment for an innovation lab and its customers. This position demands expertise at all levels of the OSI network protocol stack, storage networks, as well as strong project management, time management, and collaboration skills. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record in implementing and maintaining an evolving virtualized landscape in a variety of positions, from systems engineer to applications programmer. In this position, the candidate will assist in the evaluation and testing of new virtualization platforms, develop tools to help automate the certification/benchmarking of platforms, interface with vendors in support of multiple simultaneous proofs-of-concept, and help define the virtualization strategy for the firm. Candidate must thrive in a team environment and have outstanding listening, communication, evaluation, problem solving, multitasking, and task prioritization skills.
Innovation Lab Team: An estimated work ratio is 15% architecture related tasks and 85% hands-on implementation tasks. As a Team member, candidate will be involved in solution architecture and design, our ongoing internal peer review process, and customer-facing presentation opportunities. Candidate will build what they design to learn the actual challenges that our customers will encounter when implementing potential solutions in a Production environment. Candidate will come up to speed very quickly on new technology and they will identify the underlying patterns / similarities between disparate solution stacks. In turn, the candidate will become a better and more efficient architect.
• Prototype new virtualization, network, and cloud strategies to meet client requirements
• Assist innovation lab development team to prototype a wide variety of projects: big-data, teleconferencing, biometrics
• Present and implement solutions to business partners
• Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve system level issues on a large, busy network
• Assess and improve existing architectures and performance
• Develop scripted automation
• Inventory components and assist in new hardware procurements
• Coordinate ongoing system maintenance activities
• In-depth hands-on experience with virtualization technologies: KVM, OpenStack, and VMware
• In-depth hands-on experience with big-data technologies (including Hadoop, NoSQL)
• Understanding of security risks and mitigation measures
• Understanding of software provisioning and configuration tools Cobbler, Kickstart, Puppet, MCollective
• Integrate Linux Containers (e.g. Docker) with virtualization technologies (e.g. Ironic)
• Fluent in networking (TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, VLAN), troubleshooting, and firewall (Dell SonicWall)
• Network Switch programming (Cisco IOS / HP) to include port trunking, network isolation
• Strong knowledge of resource and system optimization Linux server and Microsoft Windows
• Prior involvement designing replication and disaster recovery
• Storage systems (SAN/NAS) to include HP and fibre networks
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Monitor and manage our virtual infrastructure.
• Basic cloud infrastructure integration (e.g. hybrid with AWS EC2)
• 10 years of progressive enterprise experience in network engineering
• 3 years of progressive experience in virtualization engineering
• Candidate should have excellent interpersonal skills, be confident and reliable.
• Proven ability to assume ownership and willingness to take hands-on responsibility to manage tasks to completion
• Mentoring to junior staff and on-demand technical support for team members
• Experience with Cloudera, Hortonworks, and MapR software
• AWS Certifications and / or documented experience
• Experience with multiple programming languages
• CISSP certification or other security certification
• Computing Environment certifications such as Linux (RedHat, etc.), Windows, Cisco, F5, Dell, HP
Bachelors Degree or higher